If you have unwanted lines and wrinkles, you can choose from a number of procedures to have them removed. The most common ways of treating aging skin are to get facelifts or Botox injections. Although both procedures are incredibly effective at making the face appear younger, your surgeon will suggest which one’s right for you.
Let’s take a look at both in detail:
Facelifts involve tightening the face by removing excess skin and lifting facial tissue and muscles so they no longer sag.
A facelift effectively removes sagging skin and eliminates deep wrinkles, making you appear younger and fresher.
Benefits of a Facelift
- Compared to Botox and other injectable treatments, facelifts provide better results.
- Injectable treatments last a few months but the results from facelifts can last over a decade.
- Facelifts can address more severe skin issues.
Shortcomings of Facelifts
- The recovery time for facelifts is significantly longer than that of injectable treatments. It can take patients 2 weeks to fully recover.
- Surgeons have to administer anesthesia before carrying out the procedure.
Botox is administered to the face through injections. It smoothes fine lines and deep wrinkles by relaxing facial muscles. Its most commonly injected in the forehead, the areas surrounding the eyes and near the mouth.
Benefits of Botox
Botox injections are a non-invasive treatment that require zero recovery time. You can get your injections and go back to what you’re doing immediately.
If you don’t have as many fine lines and deep wrinkles, Botox is probably the more cost-efficient solution.
Shortcomings of Botox
- Botox is only a temporary fix, its effects only last around 3-6 months.
- It’s ineffective on sagging skin.
- It may lead to slight bruising and swelling.
When you consult a surgeon about a cosmetic procedure, they will ask you about your goals. Think about what it is that you want from the procedure.
Are you alright with your wrinkles appearing lighter or do you want them gone completely? Do you just want to treat certain parts of the face or all of it?
Depending on your answers and the condition of your skin, your doctor will recommend what procedure is better for you.
Dr. Paul Drago is an experienced cosmetic and facial plastic surgeon based in Greenville, SC. He specializes in conducting complex facial surgeries that enhance patient’s natural features and help them look younger.
Contact his office now to book an appointment.